Sunday, May 4, 2014

-28.4-

The Illusionist:

I first saw commercials for  The Illusionist when it was in theaters, but I hadn't had a chance to see it until now.
The film was beautiful, and I liked the quietness of it. But...I felt like I couldn't quite connect to the story. Part of it was that the leading girl looked older than I expected her to, and that made it hard to gauge her relationship with the Illusionist at first. (It also may have been because I had little sleep the night before. I'll have to re-watch it.)

Things to steal:
-Color palettes of the various cities
-The scene where the Illusionist was crowded on a boat with all of the sheep
-A shot of the leading girl and her love interest exiting the shop (the sidewalk was slanted)





-A shot of the leading girl first meeting the Illusionist. The Illusionist could barely be seen through the open doorway
-The shot of the leading girl and her love interest in the rain (they only had a coat while everyone else had umbrellas)
-The lonely book's shadow almost flying
-The scene where the Illusionist "interacts" with his real-life counterpart Jacque Tati
*The lack of dialogue in the movie/mixing in of languages so it's more universal

No comments:

Post a Comment