Sunday, April 13, 2014

-26.4-

Directing Dalmation by Conrad Bishop was my first time directing a play. Before this, I was used to directing film (for both STAC and Chinese class), and the differences seem to me to be quite large. Theatre directing felt as if I was directing for a single shot that we had only one take to do, and I felt like I was repeating myself a lot.

What went right:
-Ashley and Grace were able to hit the important lines (and didn't point it out if they skipped a line)
-People laughed
-Most of the main actions were hit

What went wrong:
-I'm not sure if a dynamic really occurred between the actors...but I can't remember the actual performance that well since it was so quick and I was so (?) worried
-A significant action was skipped (Grace was supposed to push items off her desk and walk up so she was shouting in the audience's face)
-We all should have gotten off the script sooner (I ended up not even bringing it to rehearsals)
-Memorizing the script was an issue. We should have spent a day to break down the main points of the script and focused on memorizing then improvising around those main points
--We utilized the recording technique of rehearsing, and we should have started doing this sooner in order to get off the script sooner
-We should have taken more advantage and practiced more in the main STAC room space (we only had one rehearsal there, and half the cast/one person was missing)
-There are many ways of rehearsing (recording+only actions, only dialogue, recalling memorization+dialogue, improvising), and I felt like I should have stuck to one instead of experimenting
-It was a little worrisome when the day before rehearsal half of the cast wasn't in
-I should be more confident/firm when directing, and have done more physical examples of what I wanted the actors to do

What escaped me this time:
-How to create a dynamic between the actors (?)
-How to hit the key points of both action + dialogue
-How to talk about motivation behind the actions

No comments:

Post a Comment